From bugs to business: Unlocking the Bioeconomy in Europe
All you need to know about industrial biotechnology in Europe in one conference! Embark on the bioeconomy journey!
23rd June 2015 at the Royal Flemish Academy for Sciences and Arts
Witness the state of play of industrial biotechnology in Europe with keynote speeches from innovative companies and European bodies.
Learn about ways to unlock the opportunities provided by this key enabling technology.
Attend the launch of the BIO-TIC roadmap committed to tackling industrial biotechnology hurdles in the EU.
Engage in discussions during dedicated panel debates to implement solutions for a blooming industrial biotechnology sector committed to realising the European bioeconomy.
Discuss with policy makers, industrial players, entrepreneurs and academia during the networking cocktail.
Explore industrial biotechnology products and tools in the conference exhibition space.
Visit the Bio Base Europe pilot plant on the following day.
This event is the final conference of the BIO-TIC project, a Commission-funded Coordination and Support Action dedicated to overcoming challenges to industrial biotechnology in Europe. Despite its potential to help tackle some of todays global societal challenges such as climate change, dwindling fossil fuel resources and the need to switch to more sustainable and resource-efficient industrial processes, many hurdles to industrial biotechnology persist. These include:
- little availability and access to sustainable and competitively priced biomass
- limited access to public funding
- lack of incentives and policy drivers for industrial biotechnology products
- technological barriers including low yields and high scale up costs
- poor public awareness of products derived from industrial biotechnology processes and their associated advantages
From Bugs to Business will adress these hurdles with the launch of the BIO-TIC roadmap on how to drive the European industrial biotechnology sector. To learn more about BIO-TIC ahead of the conference, go to www.industrialbiotech-europe.eu
- Register now at www.bio-tic-conference.eu
- Follow the conference news on Twitter at #bioeconomy4EU
- Feel free to circulate the invitation to your networks using the following link http://tiny.cc/biotic
- Sneak a peak at the preliminary programme below
PART I – Setting the Scene (14:00-16:00)
Welcome address by Chair, Patricia Osseweijer (TU Delft)
Lessons learned and perspectives for IB in Europe
- Introduction to the BIO-TIC findings, Antoine Peeters (EuropaBio)
- Why commercial production occurs outside of the EU, Babette Pettersen (BioAmber)
- Region-based development of IB expertise, Willem Sederel (Biobased Delta)
- European IB success story, Tom Domen (Ecover)
- From chemical to biological conversion routes, Radoslav Jonas (Energochemica)
Coffee break and exhibition
PART II – Making it Happen (16:00-18:00)
Panel debate 1 - Biomass availability and conversion efficiency
- Confirmed speakers include Andreas Gumbert (DG Agri), Sini Eräjää (Birdlife International/European Environmental Bureau), Calliope Panoutsou (Imperial College London)
Panel debate 2 - Investments in IB
- Confirmed speakers include: MEP Philippe De Backer (European Parliament), Barend Verachtert (Biobased Industries JU), Jos Peeters (Capricorn Venture Partners), Anders Lyngaa Kristoffersen (Novozymes)
Closing plenary by Waldemar Kutt (DG Research and Innovation, European Commission)
Networking cocktail & exhibition
- Showcase of IB products - See and touch a wide range of products made using IB
- Biomass Observatory Demo - Find out how much biomass is used for IB processes in the EU
- IB product sustainability database - Browse through a list of diverse IB products and check out their socio-economic and environmental credentials
- Partnering platform - Discover profiles of IB players all across the EU and get in touch
- IB in Europe - Explore the IB landscape in the EU using the clickable map
24th June - BELIEVE IT
Visit to the Biobase Europe Pilot Plant in Ghent
- Join the Biobase Europe (BBE) staff for a private tour, learn about companies which have developed their processes in the BBE facility and seize the opportunity to discuss issues you may have encountered with the BBE personnel!