SPIRE is a contractual Public-Private Partnership dedicated to innovation in resource and energy efficiency enabled by the process industries. SPIRE is addressing three fundamental European challenges:
- Urgency to create growth and increase the competitiveness of Europe in a global market.
- Need to rejuvenate the European process industry that is at the basis of the European economy in terms of turnover, employment and generation of technologies for all industrial sectors.
- Imperative to reduce resource and energy inefficiency and the environmental impact of industrial activities.
SPIRE aims at integrating, demonstrating and validating systems and technologies capable of achieving two key resource and energy efficiency targets across all SPIRE sectors:
- a reduction in fossil energy intensity of up to 30% from current levels through a combination of, for example, introduction of novel energy-saving processes, process intensification, energy recovery, sustainable water management, cogeneration heat-power and progressive introduction of alternative (renewable) energy sources within the process cycle
- a reduction of up to 20% in non-renewable, primary raw material intensity compared to current levels, by increasing chemical and physical transformation yields and/ or using secondary and renewable raw materials
- a significant contribution to the political and societal objectives of drastic efficiency improvement in CO2-equivalent of up to 40%